Pages

Monday, November 29, 2004

Thanksgiving 2004

Being Scottish, Thanksgiving was a holiday I'd given very little thought to before I came to Japan. But, now I live in such an internatioanlly diverse community, some of my closest friends are American. This means Thanksgiving dinners. This year, I was lucky enough to be invited to not one, but TWO fantastic Thanksgiving meals. Not bad for someone who doesn't even celebrate it!

The first happened last weekend in a town not far from Himeji, on the main island of Honshu. It was thrown by good friend Amanda, and was the perfect way to round off the weekend of dancing I had done in Osaka, with my other good mate, Dave. After we danced, we headed to Himeji, and were shown some warm American hospitality from Amanda, and her housemate Vivian. Amanda and her helpers had cooked for 35 people! No mean feat, and I was happy to meet so many new people over some delicious food

Then I got to do it all over again, only this weekend's bash was on more familiar ground. Fellow ALT Kirsten lives in a town not far from Miyoshi, and this Saturday night just past saw her small house packed to the gunnels with 17 hungry JETs. Again, the food was excellent, and everyone had made a great effort to bring a home cooked side dish. After the food was eaten (and most of it was), we sat in the living room and played drinking games all night long. A nice relaxing night, in the company of the people I arrived in Japan with. I hadn't seen so many of these guys for a long time, so it was good to relax and unwind with friends who have been with me here from Day 1.

Top Moments of this year's Thanksgiving celebrations:
1) Watching the little cousin of a new acquaintance play for the Dallas Cowboys while slurping red wine with said new acquaintance.

2) Eating my first Western style homecooked food in months.

3) Watching a half cooked turkey being sawed in half in a desperate bid to cook it properly!

4) Watching Jo blow a raspberry into Marita's tummy for a dare.

5) Sitting round playing the Movie Quotes game while quaffing still more red wine.

6) Listening to Jo and Janice having to change their laughs for a dare. Hard to explain, you had to be there!

7) Giving a impromptu and short Awa Odori performance with Dave at Amanda's for a very appreciative group of people.

Roll on 2005!!

No comments: